Friday, March 11, 2005

An Easter Like no Other

Nikki B
3-9-05
An Easter Like No Other
While all of you are all counting down the days until spring break, I am already counting the days until I get to come back from spring break. I hate to be negative, but I know I will never have a spring break as bad as this one. In fact, I am pretty sure that getting my wisdom teeth pulled on the first day of spring break is going to be the highlight.
This spring break won’t be like any I have ever had. Most years we would go somewhere like Florida or Colorado or at least go to visit my relatives in Racine. My mom’s whole side of the family would get together and celebrate Easter. I have a huge family and I am close to all of them. To me, that is how holidays are supposed to be celebrated. I wouldn’t want them any other way.
This Easter will be much different. I haven’t even decided if I am going to go to Racine to celebrate Easter. It is going to be different because my dad is refusing to come along and I don’t want to spend my holiday without him.
Even after my parents got divorced, my dad has always come to her side of the family functions. Some people think this is kind of weird, but my dad’s side of the family lives in Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas so we don’t visit very often and if my dad didn’t come to my mom’s family functions, he would be home alone. I would never let that happen.
There have been awkward moments, but I was always glad that he came. My mom’s family all loves him too. My uncles are some of my dad’s best friends. They hunt together and talk car stuff. It is almost like my mom divorced my dad, but her family didn’t and from talking to them, they don’t want to.
Last night on the phone with my father, he told me that my mom had invited him to Easter at my grandparents house. Then she told him that she was bringing her new boyfriend. She though maybe my dad would like to meet him first and she asked him if he wanted to go out to dinner with him so that he could get to know him.
I can’t believe that my mother is so naïve. She has only been dating this guy for three months and is bringing him home for the holidays, which will completely ruin the holiday to begin with. Everyone is uncomfortable with the idea, including my relatives, but me most of all.
I don’t want to leave my father home alone for Easter. I also haven’t had a chance to see my relatives in Racine for a long time and I would love to get a chance to see them. I am completely torn, thus this spring break is going to suck.
My dad told me to go to Racine, because even if she was bringing the new boyfriend, she was still my mother and that I should see my relatives. I just don’t feel right about it. No one should be alone during the holidays and I won’t enjoy it if I think about my dad sitting at home by himself.
Maybe I can pretend that the drugs from getting my wisdom teeth are affecting me enough that I don’t want to drive. (Maybe I won’t have to pretend.) It would be a win win situation and I won’t have to see all of the food that I shouldn’t eat with stitches in my mouth anyway. No matter what happens, it isn’t going to be an enjoyable spring break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home