Sunday, July 24, 2005

Mary Kay Experience

The Mary Kay Experience

So, last week I was talked into being a Mary Kay model for a Mary Kay Director and the consultants that work for her. I love doing make-up and occasionally being girly so I thought it would be fun.

I was asked to show up at around quarter after six so that the director could go over some sales techniques and things before I got there. I showed up exactly on time and the director hadn’t quite finished up. I took a seat next to the consultants and let the director finish.

The director had given each of the consultants a sheet of paper with a picture of Barbie on it and tips for looking professional. The director made it clear to each woman there that they were not to leave the house in pants unless they were going to a soccer game. Skirts and dresses all the time. Then things started getting a little scary. The director told the women that they were to portray the Mary Kay image all of the time and even if they were going to one of their children’s soccer games, they were to have their “face on” and their hair “floofed.”

I still don’t know how to floof my hair, but I damn well know that I don’t want to do it everyday, nor do I want to portray a Barbie image all the time. It would take a lot more than Mary Kay makeup to make me look like Barbie and that is just fine with me. I don’t care if I don’t look gorgeous when I go hiking or am just hanging out in the barn on the weekend. If I’m not at work and not going out, I will be in jeans and a t-shirt. I like it that way. Call it some of the 12yr old tomboy coming out in me, but who wants to be perfect all of the time. I just want to be me not three types of eyecream and two shades of lipgloss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home